Voting for the lowest hanging fruit: an O'scope! Can't have too many or too few channels - bandwidth is project dependent.
Multimeter and scope are primary tools.
Next level must include a logic analyzer.
To easily write unit tests in C: ceedling
A devOps tool (gitlab, Azure DevOps)
Here are some popular hardware and software tools for the development and debugging of Embedded Systems:
- JTAG/SWD Debuggers
- Logic Analyzers
- Power Supplies
- Microcontroller/Microprocessor boards
- Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) like Keil MDK, Eclipse CDT, IAR Embedded Workbench
- Debuggers like GDB, Insight
- Real-time Operating Systems (RTOS) like FreeRTOS, RTX
- Firmware libraries and middleware like Arm Mbed, ChibiOS/RT
- Emulators and simulators like QEMU, Proteus.
These tools can be used to develop, test, and debug embedded systems effectively.